Olympic and Paralympic athletes do not achieve success overnight. They set goals, work hard – harder than many of us can imagine, and make daily decisions always keeping their goals in mind. They are focused and driven. All while following their dream and plotting a course towards achieving their goals, these athletes share other values – teamwork, sportsmanship, education, clean sport, integrity and more.
Young adults and children are especially poised to learn these values and apply those lessons to their everyday lives. Our Playmakers Program is designed to share the Olympic and Paralympic experience with young people and expose them to the hard work, ethics, and exhilaration involved in achieving success in sport and life.
- Conversations and lessons with Olympic athletes
- Stepping outside of comfort zones to learn and compete in new sports, such as Wheelchair Basketball and Sitting Volleyball
- Learn about a “day in the life” of an Olympic athlete in training
- Small group sessions with other youth and adult leaders to discuss and journal about their experiences and what they’ve learned
- Education on the core Olympic and Paralympic values, including clean sport, teamwork, sportsmanship, education, integrity, and goal setting
- Activities to build creativity and foster self-esteem